Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Welcome Baby Vera!

Last Wednesday(5/23/2012) I had Vera Francis Dorssom at 12:08pm.  Her stats were 7 lbs and 19 3/4" long.  I had a quick delivery-water broke at 9am, epidural at 11ish and baby at noon.  The hospital where I delivered has a "miracle hour" policy, meaning that only the mom, dad and baby are allowed in the room for at least the first hour after delivery and all other care is deferred until later.  It was wonderful!  Then after this time they do all the baby care/assessment at my bedside-no taking the baby away to the nursery.  This was a great experience.  One of the doctor's that I work for delivered Vera and my nurse was a lady I knew from the office-she is completing her Nurse Practitioner Degree and is in our office working several days a week.  She also works as a charge nurse at L&D.

During the assessment they found Vera's breathing to be rapid at times-transient tachypnea.  They ended up admitting her to the NICU by that afternoon. She was quickly started on O2, IV fluids and antibiotics, and an NG tube placed.  They did blood work which all came back negative for infection but her chest x-ray revealed some fluid on the lungs.  The neonatologist said that this was not uncommon for a quick delivery.  She was in the NICU until Friday late afternoon.  As a mother, this time was agonizing.  Vera was only there for 2 days, I can't imagine having a little one that had to stay for weeks to months.  Vera got to room in with me on Friday night and then was discharged Saturday midday.

My friend Emily, with her son Paul, came down to stay with Stella for a couple nights.  Stella had a blast getting to spend time with them again.  It was great to know Stella was in such good hands!

Erin (Charlie's sister) and Henry (our nephew) are here now visiting from KS.  Stella has been well entertained playing with her cousin and aunt.

I will keep updating with more photos...but here is a glimpse of our last week.


The night before I had Vera, I was sitting on the couch reading to Stella after dinner and she fell asleep before we could even finish Peter Rabbit.  This never happens, she rarely will fall asleep outside her carseat, crib or stroller.  I loved every moment of it!

















 Dr. Curtis and I

 Andrea my nurse and I







 Meeting Vera for the first time



 Finally out of the NICU


 Coming to see Vera





 Home!








No comments:

Post a Comment